Homemade red cabbage with apples is the perfect side dish for a traditional Christmas dinner. The recipe comes from my grandma, who has been preparing red cabbage this way for decades. Besides apple pancakes from my grandma, which I really loved as a kid, red cabbage was my very favorite (side) dish!
Every week, at least once, we had Grandma’s homemade red cabbage along with potatoes and, back then, a piece of the roast….
The Inspiration for This Red Cabbage Recipe
Over the years, however, my favorite dish has been somewhat forgotten, probably also owe my change of residence .
But now I sat down with my grandma last weekend and she reminded me of good old red cabbage –which my grandma, by the way, has been cooking as a vegan dish for decades.
She gave me the recipe and I diligently followed along. A few days later I tried it right away and would like to share it, since it fits so nicely to the current season.
Christmas is coming soon and red cabbage is the classic side dish. So, here we go: If you still need a vegan red cabbage recipe for Christmas, you should pay attention right now!
How Do I Prepare the Red Cabbage With Apples?
First we take care of the red cabbage: Wash it, cut off the stalk and chop the red cabbage. Here you can decide if you want to chop it finer or if you’d rather have it a little coarser. Either way works! Put the chopped red cabbage into a large saucepan.
Then it’s on to the apples: At best you have tart apples. Also, you don’t need to skimp on apples, that’s what my grandma told me. 5-6 apples should definitely go in.
I peeled them first, then cored them and cut them into coarse pieces. Then add the apples to the red cabbage.
Peel and finely chop a large onion. Also add to the saucepan.
Now add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, e.g. apple cider vinegar. Then you can add sweetener to taste. My grandma told me that she usually adds 5 teaspoons of sugar.
But I have dared to try it with agave syrup and that also worked great. You could of course add a little less or more sweetness here.
Now add about 8.5–10.1 fl.oz. (250–300 ml) of water, so that the bottom is covered with water. The red cabbage should not swim in the water! Season with salt & pepper and cook on medium heat until done. Stir occasionally.
For me it took about 40 minutes until everything was cooked. After that you can enjoy your red cabbage with apples!
The red cabbage with apples is
Can Red Cabbage Be Frozen?
Red cabbage is great to freeze and can last up to three months in the freezer. To do this, simply put it in a freezer bag and seal well. That’s why it’s perfect as a meal prep idea.
It will also last for a few days in the crock pot. Just store the red cabbage in the fridge and it will last for up to five days.
I hope you have fun making it. If you liked the recipe, feel free to leave me a comment!
Red Cabbage With Apples
- 1 red cabbage
- 5-6 apples
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 5 tsp. agave syrup
- Wash the red cabbage, cut off the stalk and chop the red cabbage. Put the chopped red cabbage in a large saucepan.
- First peel the apples, then core them and then cut them into rough pieces. Then add the apples to the red cabbage.
- Peel and finely chop one large onion. Also add it to the saucepan.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, for example apple cider vinegar. Then add the sweetener, I used 5 tsp agave syrup here.
- Now add about 8.5-10.1 fl.oz. (250-300 ml) water, so that the bottom is covered with water. Season with salt & pepper and cook on medium heat until done. Stir occasionally.
- For me it took about 40 minutes until everything was cooked. After that you can enjoy your red cabbage with apples!